Pages

Friday, July 31, 2015

Celebrate Today by Raising Your Heart Rate

The 31st day of July has arrived. It is neither hot nor cold, but rather, the perfect shade of lovely. 70 degree temperatures and cerulean skies made for a lovely run where I was able to gather my thoughts in a bundle and give them up to God in a burst of joy. 6 miles in 62 minutes is a far cry from what I ran before I injured my knee but I am grateful for it. I am slow but I am nimble, lumpy but full of grace, strong but gratefully aware of my limitations. I recognize the moments to give thanks and the moments to grieve. Today was a moment for praise. <P>

"Do you like to exercise?" I asked my new friend over dinner last night. She gave me a bewildered look to which my 13 year old son replied, "It's a trick question!" <P>

Dear readers, I want you to know that I practiced impulse control and did not poke him in the eye. <P>

"It is not a trick question." I said. Gratefully, her response was honest, "I exercise when I have to and generally do not enjoy it." The reason I asked my young friend that question was because she appeared to be very physically fit. Many young people have the luxury of health and vitality without the grit, sweat and tears that accompany keeping an older body in reasonable condition. How I wish I could reinforce to her and many others the great joy that comes with taking care of one's body through the rigors of physical training. Even if one has a blessed body that does not appear to need shaping and toning, there are a great many benefits to cardiovascular activity. <P>

I find that I do my best thinking and planning while I work out in the mornings. It feels as if my neural pathways are more open and the blood circulates to previously clogged up brain cells. As I burn off the extra sugar in my blood I begin to possess a clarity I don't experience at any other time of the day. Even more potent, I carry that exhilaration with me all day where it pulses into my work and play to make them more productive and delightful. I withheld these thoughts from my friend over dinner because I didn't want to overwhelm her with my musings. Rather, I distilled my thoughts and said, "I don't feel human when I skip my workouts in the morning." <P>

I can appreciate the point of view that scorns exercise because I personally lived that perspective for many years. Misunderstanding and pride prevented the benefits of good health which I so gladly enjoy today. When I am tempted to fall into old thought patterns, I revisit those years in my mind and ask myself important questions. <P>

"Did I enjoy my view from the couch?" <P>

"Was it prudent for me to model poor choices for my children?" <P>

"Do I miss the physical agony of being trapped in a body that was challenging to move?" <P>

This morning I saw a familiar face on my jog. There is a woman about my age who walks most mornings. She does not have a runner's body. She does not move fast. But every time I see her she is walking. Her steady gait is like a glorious drop of water to my weary soul and I took great joy in sharing that with her as I passed by. Her smile is the currency by which I write this tome. <P>

The race is not to the swift, nor is victory to the most beautiful. Neither do any of us walk the same path in life. Our journeys are unique to our experiences and history. I am not better or worse than the reader of this blog. I am only Margaret.Today, I am happy and I am celebrating that. And I want to share with whoever will listen that if you are reading this, you are blessed beyond measure because you are alive and still have time. So move if you can, be still if you must, and love without boundaries. Life is precious. Live it wisely.

No comments:

Post a Comment