Pages

Thursday, January 3, 2013

People react to my weight loss like I'm an enigma. To me, the person who has 100+ pounds to lose and the person who has 20 pounds to lose are no different. The same principals apply. Eat less, move more. Everyone knows if you eat less and move more you will lose weight. But permanent change requires a permanent change in your mindset. This is probably the biggest hurdle anyone with a significant amount of weight to lose faces. Most people look at changing their diet as synonymous with Chinese Water Torture. You can survive it, but why would you want to endure it? The simple answer is that you just have to want it bad enough. Yes,I know change is never easy.

The journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step. For some people, simply cutting out one dessert a day and starting an exercise program is a wonderful beginning. My first step was not small but that was intentional. I was so sick of my lifestyle that I knew I needed to make a big change. Several months into my journey I read that it is not wise to cut sugar out of your diet all at once. In fact, the doctor who wrote that book said anyone who cuts the sugar out all at once will fail. Oops. But cutting the sugar helped cut my appetite and I was able to relearn how to eat. I remember drinking milk and realizing it was sweet. Who'd a thunk it? Suddenly eating fruit and drinking milk was wonderful. I'm not usually crazy about salads but I fell in love with stir fried vegetables. So basically, my love affair with food continued but I learned to eat the kinds that didn't clog my arteries.

My biggest challenge was exercise. I have always hated to exercise. So when I resolved to start walking it was pure torture. I will never forget my first trip around the block. I could barely breathe. It was excrutiating. But I decided not to focus on the pain of walking but rather on the beauty around me. I took my children and passed the time by talking about our day. I enjoyed the bright sunshine and fresh air. At first I could only walk about 15 minutes but slowly I built up my endurance and was able to move for 30 and then 45 minutes. I made it a goal to walk every day and I really came to look forward to those walks. That was "me" time and nothing took precident over it. Today I enjoy exercise. It is the best part of my day. I love how I feel when I get my heart rate up. I feel like I can fly. Even on those days when I'm tired I try to push through because I know I will feel better when it is over.

I also had an accountability partner. When the going got tough I would call her and she would talk me down off the ledge. What a blessing she was! Becky will never really know the important part she played in my transformation. Good friends are an invaluable part of permanent change. 5 months into my journey a friend at work wanted to help celebrate my birthday. He brought in a sugar free angel food cake covered with berries. I had to cry. His unwavering support made me feel like I could do anything.

The biggest thing I have learned during my journey is that when I fail, I have to forgive myself. I know I'm going to have bad days. I'm going to eat things I shouldn't and over indulge. I'm going to skip a workout. Life happens! But that doesn't mean my life is over. One bad choice does not necessitate another. Every day is a new day--a new opportunity--ripe with possibility.

Everyone must choose how they want to live their life. I didn't want to carry around that extra weight for the rest of my life and then I took that first step. You can too!



1 comment:

  1. Aww, nice to be mentioned. But, YOU my friend, are a blessing to ME!
    -Becky

    ReplyDelete