Pages

Monday, August 5, 2013

What the BLEEP did you say?

I wanted to spend some quality time with my youngest son this weekend. "Big E"(as our chiropractor lovingly refers to him) has a lot of energy so I thought it might be nice to take a walk. I needed to return a Redbox movie so we put on some sneakers and started the trek to the grocery store. The great thing about walking through Ferguson, Missouri is there are so many cool things to see. In less than 4 blocks we see two fountains, a firehouse, the library and two historic cabooses(we can climb on them!). Even better, we get to pick up stray pinecones on the way.

The return trip brought us in close proximity to two neighborhood boys who looked to be about the age of my middle son who I shall lovingly refer to as "Big R." I would have waved and smiled but "Big E" beat me to the punch. He turned around and started calling the boys colorful names, none of which I can repeat here. I was instantly embarrassed and wanted to smack the snot out of my kid, but since I was walking along Florissant Road, I didn't want to give people the wrong idea about my parenting skills, so instead, I took "Big E" by the hand and walked back to the boys. I told him he needed to apologize. I told him we don't call names. I told him "Shame on you!" But he responded by baring his teeth at the boys and growling like a wildebeest. One of the boys said, "Hey! Aren't you Big R's mom?"

It turned out they were classmates and friends of my middle son. My humiliation was complete. I told them I would pass on greetings to "Big R" and continued the walk home. I didn't need to ask "Big E" where he learned that type of behavior. He doesn't go to daycare and he certainly didn't learn those words at church. In fact, he has spent the entire summer hanging with his older brothers who obviously need their mommy to take a good scrub brush to their tongues.

All of this to say, bad company corrupts good character. Like it or not, the people we spend time with rub off on us. That is why it is so important to be discerning when developing new relationships. I have a good friend who waves her hands around a lot when she talks. Well, guess what, now I do too. And I think of her when I do it.

While trying to live a healthy lifestyle, you may realize that the people you live or work with have habits that are not in line with your goals. This is not only frustrating but attacks your resolve to abstain from unhealthy behaviors. Maybe when you are near these people you find yourself cheating on your healthy lifestyle plan. I'm going to say this with utmost respect and understanding---if you want to reach your goals, you may need to put some distance between yourself and these people. You should always try to be straightforward first. Maybe they will listen and give you space. After all, there are many wonderful, respectful people who love and cherish you and want to support you. I'm not talking about them, however. I'm talking about the people who say they support you and then offer you a plate full of chocolate chip cookies. Run, Baby! Run like the wind!

This is a difficult topic but one that bears discussion. I have personally experienced more pressure to eat things I know I shouldn't by people at work, as well as friends and family. I have heard the "You need to treat yourself" argument more times than I can count. The thing is, I really don't need to treat myself. And if I did, don't they think I know how to do that? After all, I did weigh 310 pounds and I didn't get that way by denying myself chocolate cake. And don't even get me started on my significant other, who weighs all of 150 pounds and eats candy by handful. We have been all around the mulberry bush on my journey to lose weight. Thank goodness he now respects me enough to hide the candy from me(that way I don't snatch it from him after I bludgeon him for tempting me).

I feel fortunate that my best friend is very health conscious. She has certainly rubbed many good habits off on me. And I have picked up other "healthy" friends too. They motivate me to stay true to my resolve to keep the weight off, to abstain from processed, sugar-laden foods and keep moving. So I'm going to end this post by stating one other obvious truth…."Good company promotes good behavior." Nuff said!

No comments:

Post a Comment