Pages

Tuesday, April 1, 2014

A Big Smile Goes A Long Way

I was in a very good mood today. I have been working on a presentation at work and have it nearly finished. It is completely my creation and while I received guidance on how to create some of the graphics, I created the whole shebang! I am happy. And proud. So when I walked into my favorite grocery store tonight on my way home and began to pick out my Serrano peppers(so I can make fresh guacamole) I smiled at everyone I saw, even when they didn't smile back. And I proved to myself yet again that smiles are contagious.

I was standing in line to check out when I witnessed the very sour woman in front of me scowling.

The cashier spoke kindly to her, "Good evening, Ma'am. How are you today?"

But the woman ignored her and continued to scowl. Cassandra, the very sweet cashier looked disheartened and therefore so was I. So I tried, "Hello there. I love your earrings." Then I smiled really big.

She turned and looked at me. Then she felt around her ears and said, "Oh, I forgot about these."

And I said, "They really are lovely. They even match your outfit." Then I smiled again.

Then, with a bit of hesitation, she began to smile. "Thank you." She said, "I've had a pretty rough day and I'm really tired."

I said, "I hope you are able to get some rest tonight. That will make you feel better."

Then she took her receipt from the cashier and said,(to the cashier) "Thank you for your excellent customer service. You have a nice evening." And she walked away.

By this time the crabby customer was smiling, the cashier was smiling, the customer behind us was smiling and I was still smiling. I multiplied my smile by 4. Isn't that awesome?

Today, if you are downhearted and discouraged, if life has got your goat, I encourage you to smile. Smile so big your ears hurt. Then go into a public place and start smiling at people and see what happens. I bet it'll brighten your day(and someone else's too).

Happy Smiling!

No comments:

Post a Comment