Pages

Tuesday, December 17, 2013

Christmas is Coming!

I have been very consumed with holiday preparations. For the first time in maybe ever, I started Christmas shopping early. Granted, early for me is 3 weeks prior to Christmas. I also baked 6 kinds of Christmas cookies. I have been filled with joy as I give them to my friends and co-workers. Next week I get to share them with my family. Am I evil for gifting these sweet treats? I have decided I am not.

This past weekend was the first of several family get-togethers. We had a snow delay when a storm hit Missouri on Saturday and I was sad that several relatives were not able to attend on Sunday. It was so nice to see my aunts, uncles and cousins. The whole time I was there I had this feeling of indelible warmth and security. I thought about how these people are constants in my life. They have shaped who I am. We don't only share genetics, we share history and beautiful memories. My aunts seem as beautiful to me now as they did when I was 12. And their kindness seems to know no bounds. I hope that when I grow up I am 1/5th as wonderful as they are.

In the past my holidays were fraught with worries over irresistible desserts. Not this year. My dairy and gluten free diet give me the peace to say no to all wonder of goodies. And I honestly don't feel like I'm missing out. If anything, I feel unencumbered by the weight of worry and guilt so that I can more fully enjoy myself. I am filled with joy and peace, and Christmas isn't even here yet!

I would like to share one picture from Sunday. I was able to see my cousin, Jake, who is home on leave from the Air Force. When I saw him in the flesh I was so proud and humbled that I just hugged him and then asked to have my picture taken with him. It feels like he is a celebrity. He has been stationed in Alaska for the past year and is now headed off to other exotic countries. I am praying for his safe return!

If it sounds like I've fallen off the wagon with my workouts, I haven't. If anything I am enjoying running outside more than ever! I feel stronger and healthier than I have in my whole life. So while I celebrate the birth of Jesus while enjoying the company of my family and friends, I am so grateful for the gift of good health. I never for one day take it for granted.

No comments:

Post a Comment