Pages

Tuesday, September 10, 2013

Magic Fat Blocking Powder For Sale!

You gotta love Groupon. From discounted entertainment packages to your favorite restaurant, they've got a deal for everyone. I opened the email from Groupon today and noticed this: "Weight-Loss-Hypnosis Class." I thought to myself, "Now I've seen everything." Sure I've heard about hypnosis to lose weight, but I never actually considered it. I mean, it sounds good in theory, but after seeing a hypnotist perform in a science class in high school, I thought it was all a bunch of mumbo jumbo. So when I saw the byline in my email I was astounded to see below it, "Over 900 bought." Wow. And only 11 people bought tickets to see the DaVinci exhibit.

FACT: people are desperate to lose weight. They will sprinkle magic "fat blocking" powder on their food and they will buy electrical-stimulation-abdominal belts to contract their abs so they don't have to do one single sit-up. What does this say about our culture?

Yesterday a friend posted a cute little picture on Facebook that stated "I'd much rather eat pasta & drink wine than be a size zero." I immediately identified. Who doesn't love pasta? But it seems unfortunate that our culture continues to glorify self-indulgence at the expense of our health.

Last night my husband and I were talking about health insurance. (Yes, I'm going there.) Our youngest child has Juvenile diabetes. Due to some unforeseen dental expenses we have used nearly all of the money in my health savings account, which means we will have to come up with a chunk of change should anyone need to go to the hospital. Rest assured, unless it is broken, severed, or comatose, we will not be going to the emergency room. On one hand Americans insist on Krispy Kreme donuts, but then complain about the cost of health insurance. "Margaret, get to the point," you say. Okay. I will. Since I lost the weight I have seen my own health improve dramatically. I'm not saying I never get sick, but instead of getting sick 1-3 times a month, I now get sick 1-3 times a year. I honestly believe it is because I am not filling my body with junk food on a regular basis. I will note, when I go on a bender and eat a lot of sugar, I get sick. Every. Single. Time. That is because refined sugars are poison and weaken the immune system.

The basic issue: we know we are fat and sick. Life without health insurance is literally unthinkable. We know most of the foods we eat are bad for us(fried chicken, cookies, French fries). We are also so desperate we will try anything (short of eating right and exercising) that will make us sexy(Vanity of vanities!). But we ignore our sickness and disease(so many studies say antioxidants in fruit and veggies prevent cancer) because we have decided eating pasta is more important than being slimmer(healthy). Modern conveniences save us having to walk up stairs or even into the grocery store to buy food(motorized carts are available). We believe the lies marketing companies tell us, "You deserve chocolate lava cake." And we get fatter and more unhealthy every single day. The $35 billion a year diet industry is making a fortune from our ignorance and apathy. And unfortunately, the health care industry is too. But rather than address all of these issues, we spend $29 on a weight loss hypnosis class? Really? It seems we are already hypnotized. What other explanation could there be?

There are many days I wish I could go back to the way I was. Ignorance is bliss, right? I could look at a plate of Fettuccini Alfredo and not think calories and carbohydrates. I could make my daily trip to Taco Bell or White Castle and suck in chocolate shakes with reckless abandon. After all, plus size clothing stores have made it so that I can be both portly and a snappy dresser. But I can't. I was desperately unhappy as an obese person. I physically felt terrible every single day. My butt didn't fit in chairs. It hurt to move. I was embarrassed about my lack of self-control. And while I feel that I am fundamentally the same person, fat or thin, I feel good knowing I have taken control of my life. Discipline really is a very good thing.

Yes, losing the weight was really hard. Yes, maintaining my weight loss is a struggle. But hypnosis could never, fundamentally fix me, much the same way gastric bypass surgery misleads many obese people. Ask Al Roker! Each choice I make over the course of my life has consequences. I make a conscious decision to educate myself, eat right and move my body. The result is that I lose weight! But the moment I start eating too much, stop exercising or fall into unhealthy patterns, I will quite literally bear the weight of those decisions.

At the end of the day, it's not about fitting into my goal blouse any more. It's about how I feel when I walk or run, ride my bike or play baseball with my boys. I am no longer encumbered by the layer of blubber on my belly. I'm also healthy and relatively happy. And you want to know a secret? I did it for FREE.

No comments:

Post a Comment